Welcome here guys, In this article, you are going to read about the full form of HTML, what is HTML, its history, needs, features, advantages, and its disadvantages so let’s take a look in detail At this topic.
Full Form of HTML
Today is the time of information and one of the major source to access information is the internet. Information on the internet is present in the form of web pages. The web pages are designed through a special language called HTML. Hypertext Markup Language is the full form of HTML.
What is HTML?
HTML is also known as a markup language, it is simply a collection of keywords called Tags that indicates how the document is presented and how it links to other documents.
Example of Tags: <p> to indicate a new paragraph, <tr> to create a new row in a table, and <title> to define a document title.
This is an independent platform, which means you can view web pages on any computer operating system, including Windows, Mac, and Linux.
You can easily view a web page written with HTML in a web browser such as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Opera, Firefox and etc.
A browser understands and interprets the HTML tags. Identifies the structure of the document and makes decisions about the presentation of the document.
Also Read: What is internet? Advantages and Disadvantages Also Read: Web Browser and Search Engine
History of HTML
A Physicist at the CERN Research Institute, Tim Berners Lee developed the HTML in 1990 but released it in 1993, which has only 18 basic HTML Tags.
Till then there are many version has been released but version 5 gain so much popularity. HTML 5 is the latest version launched in 2017, with 140 Tags with most of them obsolete as the modern browsers do not support them.
HTML 5 gains so much popularity because of its new advanced features like header, footer, navigation, sections, figures, and Video Embedding.
Basic Structure of an HTML Document
An HTML documents contains <html> and </html> pair of tags that identifies the document’s contents as HTML to the browser. The <html> tag is the opening tag that shows the starting of the document and </html> is the closing tag, which tells the browser that it is the last line of coding within the document.
The <head>tag is the information of the web page and <body> has the content. the structure of the document is below:
<title> Title of the web page </title>
Content of the page
Why We Need HTML
It is used to create web pages or websites which can be helpful for us in different ways:
- To share information for global distribution.
- To retrieve online information using links.
- Commercial purposes like online reservation, shopping, advertising and etc.
- To publish one’s individual document online.
Features/Characteristics of HTML
- HTML is text-oriented language
- It is the easiest computer language.
- This is supported on almost every browser.
- This is so flexible means you can create whatever you want.
- You can easily link one page with the other pages or websites.
- It defines a set of common styles of web pages.
- You can add video, gifs, graphics, audio, anything you want to make your website attractive.
- It is a cross-platform scripting language, which can be viewed on any computer platform, DOS, Unix, Linux, Windows, and Mac.
- It has a specific syntax for defining the format of text.
Advantages and Disadvantages of HTML
- HTML is the most common language to create web pages on the web
- It is an open-source computer language that is easy to use and apply
- It supports all types of web browsers
- This is a responsive language, it changes the window and display size and makes it user-friendly
- They are only used to create static web pages, it needs other languages support to make a dynamic web page
- It also becomes very complex when trying to make a large website
- Also needs a lot’s of coding to design a basic web page
- Security is the major concern for HTML users
- Now some browsers are not able to identify some of the tags used in web page creation
Frequently Asked Questions
What is HTML Editor?
HTML Editor is a software program used to create and modify Html documents called web pages. Most editors include a method for inserting tags without actually having to type out each tag. Notepad ++ is the most used editor worldwide.
What are Tags?
Tags mean how the part of your web page should be displayed. They help to identify the logical text document parts — i.e., the major structural components in a document, such as heading, subheadings, paragraph, horizontal or vertical lines.
What is Hyperlink?
Link or Hyperlink enables users to navigate from one topic to the next on a website and from one website to another. In short, links are used to get connected to the other web on the world wide web.