Today, we are trying to talk about the Full form of HTTPS, What is HTTPS, and its benefits and drawback.
Full Form of HTTPS
The full form of HTTPS is HyperText Transfer Protocol Secure.
What is HTTPS
HTTPS is a type of Protocol. HTTPS is the advanced secure version of HTTP. This is primary protocol is used to send data (Information) between a web browser to the website. HTTPS protocol uses the 443 port number for communicating the data.
Data transfer is a big problem facing any organization so using HTTPS technology that is encrypted to enhance the security of data transfer. This protocol is using the encrypted SSL (Secure Socket Layer).
This becomes even more important especially when users transmit sensitive data, such as by logging into a bank account, email service, or health insurance provider. Be it any website that specifically requires login credentials, then such websites should use HTTPS.
Web browsers take HTTPS seriously; Google Chrome and other browsers mark all non-HTTPS websites as not secure.
Also Read:- Full Form of HTTP
How does HTTPS work?
If HTTPS technology uses another encryption protocol to keep communications encrypted, this protocol is called Transport Layer Security (TLS), although it was previously known as Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
HTTPS technology very secures communications by using the known asymmetric public key infrastructure.
This type of security system uses two different keys to encrypt the communication between two parties:-
- Private key
- Public key
A private key means a website such as that which is controlled by its website owner and is kept, as the reader might have guessed, private. This key resides on a web server and is used to decrypt information encrypted by the public key
A public key means is available to everyone who wants to interact with the server in a secure manner. Information encrypted by the public key can only be decrypted by the private key
Benefits of HTTPS
Following are the advantages or benefits of Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS):-
- The first benefit of HTTPS is that provides high security to the users
- the second benefit of HTTPS is that all users of data and information are safe. it ensures data protection.
- The third benefit of HTTPS is that the SSL protocol in HTTPS protects the data from third parties, hackers, and unauthorized access. And this technology gain trust for the users who are using it.
- The forth benefit of HTTPS is that It helps users by doing banking transactions and other works.
Drawback of HTTPS
Following are the disadvantages or drawbacks of Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure (HTTPS):-
- The first major disadvantage of HTTPS is that it requires users to purchase SSL certificates which are very expensive.
- The second major disadvantage of HTTPS is that the speed of accessing the website from the server slows down as there are various complexities involved in communicating it.
- The third major disadvantage of HTTPS is that Require users to update all their internal links.
Also Read:- What is Server and Its Types
We have tried to explain Full Form HTTPS completely in this article, I hope you liked this blog.