Today in this blog we will know what is Storage Area Network is and will talk about some of its advantages and learn its protocols. Let’s start.
We all know the importance of data, how we use different tools for our backup and use different tools to back it up.
And whenever we need to increase the data storage capacity, we can easily increase our storage capacity by changing the hard disk from our computer or laptop.
Or many times to format the hard disk by saving the data in another device requires more storage requirements.
But if it talks about a company or a big corporate company, it is not possible to do because a big company has a lot of users and depends on whether the amount of data in the hard drive is very high or not. Capability cannot be used to access or format.
Given that a small or large corporate business is capable of multiple software applications, there is also a need for quick access to data, along with greater data storage and security capability.
So, in such a situation, storage solutions are used by different companies, one of these data storage features is SAN. This is to say storage network, then figure it out.
What is SAN (Storage Area Network)
SAN stands for Storage Area Network. A SAN network is a high-speed data transfer network used for critical large company applications.
Since it includes applications, the usage is true has good throughput and low latency, which can be easily run using SAN.
The collection is prepared by adding different types of i.e storage devices to all of them. Hard disk, called pool storage. And then this storage device is connected to the switch network with a fiber cable.
That, in a certain way, becomes a storage network, where various commands or processes such as LAN networks are still affected but only traffic is connected to the remaining storage available.
After this server is also associated with data on data and access to data. Who can use the available server for the storage space available in the SAN, and available in the SAN, this storage device appears as such or is used on the server in such a way that it is simply attached, that is, the only part of the server Be.
Components of SAN Network
There are mainly three components used to make a SAN network:-
- Network Infrastructure
If the server is discussed, it refers to the hardware, where the Operating System is installed, and the database or application is hosted. And each server is installed on the HBA card, where there are 2 FC ports directly connected to it and also to the SAN network server.
Network infrastructure refers to SAN Switch and Fiber Optic cables, which are interconnected with each other in such a way that even if any one of those switches fails, the network continues to run smoothly.
Storage components refer to the storage array, where a lot of data is stored. Meaning that all those hard disks are located here, which are accessed by the database servers.
Use of SAN Network
Some points of why SAN is used are given below:-
- Improves the availability of applications.
- Improves storage utilization efficiency, strengthens storage resources, and enhances data protection.
- Storage Area Network plays an ego role in managing the business continuity of any organization.
- Improve the performance of the application.
how does san work
It is a type of internetwork. Whose main function is to keep the network server connected to the storage. The function of a SAN network is to receive storage from a variety of network servers and locate the storage, centrally manage and protect the storage resources.
The mass storage server is connected by a separate network. And is also optimized to store traditional LAN traffic displays.
Components of SAN Network
There are 3 different components of the SAN network, each of which has its own characteristics. Let’s know about them:-
- Host Layer
- Fabric Layer
- Storage Layer
The host layer represents the connected server. Host servers often run enterprise workloads such as databases that require access to storage. The SAN host also includes a separate network adapter dedicated to SAN access.
FC is one of the most popular and powerful SAN technologies. The network adapters used for FC SANs are called Host Bus Adapters (HBAs).
Below the configuration layer are the SAN network devices such as – Switched SAN Protocol Bridge Gateway Devices, Routers, and Cables.
The fiber optic port connection is compatible with electrical wiring and fiber optic SAN equipment and uses cables based on conventional copper cables for long-distance network communication.
Multiple connections are implemented to provide multiple trails when building a SAN fabric. Each of these paths interrupts SAN communication and uses an alternate path.
The storage layer consists of various storage devices that are stored in frames or different types of tanks. The storage layer consists of a conventional magnetic disk (conventional magnetic disk).
But it also includes CD-DVDs and cassette discs as well as optical media devices such as solid-state drives.
Advantages of SAN Network
Some of the Advantages of this network are given below:-
- Data Securit:- Data security is important for every business. SAN’s information security is very good. Make sure your information is secure. Your data is completely safe from hackers.
- High Availability:- There is no default path between the host and the devices stored on the SAN. Cross-device communication always finds another way to save workload capacity.
- Reduction in bandwidth problems:- It rectifies the problems encountered in bandwidth.
- Fast data transmission speed:- This technology converts the data through optical fiber which can convert the data at a certain speed.
- High-performance Gbps:- Standard SAN equipment using an independent network. This tool has traditionally provided better performance for FC.
Disadvantages of SAN Network
Some of the Disadvantages of this network are given below:-
- Expensive Storage:- It can cost a decent amount to use, as it provides data storage and leading data transfer in the industry.
- Management:- Management of storage area network is a big challenge. Configuring LUN mapping and zoning remains a problem for organizations that are busy.
- Improper working on some servers:- SAN doesn’t work on multiple servers.
We have tried to explain the storage area network completely, hope you have understood, please share with your friends.