In this blog, you are going to read about the Session layer in OSI model and other information related to this article, so stay on this site for further information.
Session Layer in OSI model
It establishes and maintains connections to communicate between all the network devices connected to the network. At the same time, it also synchronizes the process of communicating, so that the speed of sending and receiving information between the network devices between which information is being exchanged is the same.
The computer systems connected to the network between which communication is to take place, their communication is tracked by the Session Layer and starts a session before the opening of the process of communication between the two computers and keeps that session till the end of the communication.
For example: suppose that when we login to Facebook or any account using ID and password, a request is sent from your computer to Facebook’s server after which the ID and password is checked by the server and if it The server allows computers to create sessions if the ID and password are correct. As long as this session remains, the user can access the information of the ordinary machine from his computer.
Functions of Session Layer
The main functions performed by the session layer are as follows:-
- Dialog Control:- Session layer dialogue acts as a controller which can be half-duplex or full-duplex. It authenticates the process of communication between all the network devices connected to the network, after which the process of communication starts and it also manages the whole process.
- Token Management:- This layer prevents two different devices from trying to access information simultaneously at the same time.
- Synchronization: – A large data packet is sent by dividing it into many smaller packets in the network. The Session Layer also provides a facility to add a checkpoint with similar small data packets, so that all the data packets that have been sent so far have been received by all the computers.
For Example – if a separate file of 300MB is to be sent over the network and it is divided into six separate files of 50MB each, the session layer will also add a checkpoint with each 50MB data packet so that as soon as 50MB Once the file is sent, it will be checked whether that file receiver has reached its destination completely or not. This is a very beneficial arrangement as it helps a lot in error control.
Protocols used by Session layer
The following protocols are used to implement this session layer on the web browser.
- Zone Information Protocol
- AppleTalk Protocol
- Session Control Protocol
Apart from this the following protocols are used by the session layer:-
- Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol: – Using this protocol, institutions use a private tunnel instead of using a public network to send important information.
- Password Authentication Protocol :- This protocol is used to check the authenticity of the password.
- Network Basic Input Output System: – Using this, all computer systems connected to the local area network share information with each other.
Conclusion on Session layer in OSI model: We have tried to understand the session layer in simple language in this article. Hope you liked this article on Session Layer.