In this article, you are going to read about what is router and the types of routers. A Network router is a Hardware Networking Device, Which is used to connect the network.
The Router then receives the Packet data and forwards the Destination Device after analyzing any hidden information in the Data Packet.
This Networking Device is used to connect different networks Wire or Wirelessly. We also use it at home, which we call Wireless Router. Which you access the Internet.
Types of Routers
Below are the different types of Router:
- Wireless router
- Wired router
- Edge Router
- Core Router
- Virtual Router
Wireless router – It can exist at a library, home, railway station, or even elsewhere, it creates a wireless signal.
If you are in the library, we can connect to the internet using a wireless signal because your laptop is within limits. We keep the user ID and password for the security of the router.
When we try to connect to the router, it will ask for a password and UserId. UserId and password come with the device. Due to security, no information about the user is harmed.
Check out:- https://amzn.to/3QKOKGd
When we go to public places, we can see that there will be a Wi-Fi window ready to use the Internet on our phones, and we can see that it is password protected. Wireless routers are publicly available. N number of users can connect to it.
Wired router – We need a wire to connect to the network. If we go to a bank or small college, or office, we can see that a PC or laptop is connected to the Internet using an Ethernet cable, and it is a wired router.
Check out:- https://amzn.to/3QL72aj
IF a user wants to connect to the phone, they can use VOIP (voice-over IP technology). There is an ADSL (modem) that has two jacks for connecting to Ethernet and mobile phones
Edge Router – It can be wired or wireless and distribute Internet data packets between one or more networks. But it does not distribute Internet data packets within the network.
Check out:- https://amzn.to/3xRGBqX
Core Router – It is designed to operate in the Internetwork or core. This core supports multiple telecommunications interfaces of maximum speed and usage on the Internet.
It can forward IP packets at full speed on all of them. It supports the routing protocol used in the core. It will distribute Internet data packets within the network. But the Internet will not distribute data packets between core networks.
Virtual Router – Virtual network routers operate according to redundancy protocol (VRRP); It becomes active when the main or primary router fails or becomes inactive.
It takes multiple routers in a group so that they can share a virtual IP address. It has a master for each group that handles IP packets. If the master fails while forwarding the packet, other routers will take a position.
Use of router
- Routers are used to connect hardware equipment to remote location networks such as BSC, MGW, IN, SGSN, and other servers.
- This significantly speeds up the data transmission rate as it uses a high STM (Synchronous Transport Module) link for connectivity; hence, it is used in wired or wireless communication.
- Internet service providers widely use routers to send data from source to destination in the form of e-mail, web page, images, voice, or video files. Moreover, it sends data all over the world with the help of the network IP address of the destination.
- Network routers are also used by software testers for WAN communication. For example, the software manager of an organization is located in Agra, and its executive is located in some other place like Pune or Bangalore. It then provides a method for the network router executive to share their software tools and other applications with the manager with the help of the router by connecting their computer system to the router using the WAN architecture.
- In wireless networks, after the VPN is configured in the network router, it can be used in a client-server model, which allows sharing of Internetwork, video, data, and hardware resources.
- The router also has the facility of an inbuilt USB port. and has sufficient internal storage capacity. External storage devices can be used with routers to store data.
- Network routers are used to set up an organization’s operation and maintenance center, which is known as a NOC center. In large configurations, routers are connected by optical cables at a central location.
How router can help your business?
A common device for modern network computing, a router connects both employees and the Internet to the network, where almost every essential business activity takes place. Without routers, we would not be able to collaborate, communicate or use the Internet to collect and learn information.
These routers also provide security. Embedded firewall and content filtering software provide additional protection from unwanted content and malicious websites without affecting your online experience.
However, routers are not just made for data transmission or internet connection. Most network routers also allow you to connect hard drives and use them as file-sharing, servers, or printers, which anyone can access on the network.
Which OSI layer does the router work on?
The network Router works on the Network Layer in layer 7 of the OSI Model. This device is made up of a router, hardware, and software.
It has an Internetwork Operating System, CPU, Memory Storage, and some I/O Ports. It does not have Operating System like Windows or MAC.
The routing Algorithm and Routing Table are stored in Storage Memory.
Through the Routing Algorithm and Routing Table, it is found that the Input Packet has been received. Which network or which device to send that packet to.
How router work
As we know that Network Router works to forward the Data Packet from one network to another.
Its main function is to receive the data packet and Deliver the Receiver is hot. You sent a Facebook message from your computer to your friend, who is currently in Delhi.
First, the message is converted into a packet and reaches the nearest router. Now it checks the Routing Table from the Routing Protocol.
The routing table has the address and path distance of all the nearby network routers. Then the data packet is forwarded to the nearest Router, in which the IP address of the Receiver is kept.
As soon as the packet reaches the next router, it again checks the shortest path and is sent to the next router. In this way, the Packet can get to the Receiver’s Computer.
A network Router connects a lot of networks and maintains its Routing table. maintain means update.
Each Router knows the Router around him. Routing Protocol resides in all routers, with the help of which they talk among themselves.
And along with this, share your connected networks’ information among themselves and update the routing table. This is how this Networking Device works.
Also Read:- Types of keyboard