Welcome to edifyclue, in this article, you will read about What is domain name, Domain Name System, the Advantages of a domain, and what is sub-domain, so stay with us for the full information.
What is Domain Name?
A Domain name is the physical name of any website and without any doubt most important part of your webiste.
It is like your physical address, where people search your domain in search engines to land on your site.
You can’t copy someone’s domain, your Domain should be unique or unregistered by any user.
A domain name is the combination of letters, numbers and any special symbol,
Domain is the also called web address, like if you type edifyclue in your browser, top search results are shown by search engines are only about edifyclue, but if not you can also search edifyclue.com it will definitely redirects you to our site.
The best way to find any site on the web is domain, simply type the domain in your browser and get your results within milliseconds. A simple and easy pronounceable name is important because it is easy to learn by the users.
Why do you need to purchase any Domain?
Domain has become important for those, who want to make an online presence for their personal needs or to start any kind of small business. It is known as your brand identity on the web world and in recent times web world is everything.
Today, domain names are important same as your company trademark, you can also trademark your domain name easily if you haven’t trademark your domain yet.
You can also say Domains are the identity card of your business.
Because of Covid-19, businesses are moving to online world to enhance their business if any other pandemic comes in the future. Going online is a great option to increase your business as well as your brand identity.
Domain helps you to set up your online presence for your future success. This is the backbone of your digital presence.
It will cost you around 5-10$ according to your preference.
So let’s know more about this, firstly start with what is Domain Name:
What is the Domain Name System (DNS)?
The domain name system is the technical part that translate your domain name into Corresponding internet protocol (IP) address look like (126.96.36.199).
Every site has their unique IP address that computers use to render a web address to an end user.
For example- we use domain name to visit any site same as Internet use IP address to visit or identify web page location.
When you type a domain name or URL in browser, the DNS works behind the scenes to find the site correct IP address then it connects you to the website.
What are the parts of a Domain name?
There are mainly two levels of domain are available in the market, what is the difference between both levels, let’s discuss about them.
Top-Level Domain (TLD)
Example of TLD- In edifyclue.com, (.com) segment is called as TLD.
The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) controls registries that make TLDs available.
Example of top- level domains are:
|TOP-LEVEL DOMAIN (TLD)||FULL FORM|
|COUNTRY CODE TLD||FULL FORM|
What is Second Level Domain (SLD)?
Without going deep we can say Edifyclue in Edifyclue.com is the second-level domain and also called as 2LD. The maximum length of SLD is 63 characters, but short and to the point names are more effective for your website.
What is Sub-Domain?
A subdomain is the additional part of your main domain, they are created to organize and easy navigation to different sections of your websites.
This is an interesting part of a domain, you can create up to 500 subdomains with a single domain.
You can also add multiple levels of subdomains like info.computer.edifyclue.com, You can easily use up to 255 characters.
Multiple level subdomains can only have 63 characters.
You can say this is the additional part of your main domain.
This is interesting but most of google main sites are created by using the subdomain of Google.com.
For example– https://mail.google.com/
In the above link, google has created his subdomain for mail by using mail above their main domain.
Some more examples are:
Now you have understood that subdomains are also a part of search engines and no one can neglect that.
If any big company needs a website for a 1-day event they don’t create a separate website for that. They usually use their subdomain for creating a new site.
It can be very helpful if you are creating a Sub-domain for your site but when you are in doubt about anything, go with a separate domain.
How you can choose the best domain for your website?
First of all, what is the definition of the best domain name, it may tell your business name, brand name, personal name, or any name you like.
We can’t suggest you a name for your business or domain, you have to decide what’s suits your site or what you like,
Always learn that a name is not created by a brand, but a brand is created by its name. It means, choose a name that you like and make it a brand.
Yes, there are also some criteria to choose a good name for your domain, so let’s discuss;
- A perfect name should not contain more that two or three words combined like, Face-book, Insta-gram, Snap-chat etc.
- Name shoukd be easy to read and understand.
- It should be easy to pronounce.
- Always prefer a industry related domain that indicates your business industry.
For example- My business is related to Information technology so I can choose I-Tech that indicated the IT sector and is also very easy to read, understand, and pronounce.
Apart from logic, you can choose whatever name you want.
What can you do if a domain name is already taken?
This is not a big problem but we also have some solutions, so let’s take a look at the three solutions you can use to take a domain that is already in use by someone else.
- Firstly, You can choose a different Top-level domain, like the name edifyclue.com is not available but you can also find and choose its other TLD like edifyclue. in, edifyclue.net, or edifyclue.XYZ.
- You can also change some words or add some extra characters to your desired domain. For example– Edifyclue.com is your desired domain then you can also choose, Edifyclues.com, or Edifyclu.com are some examples you can also try.
- If you can’t find your favourite domain then you can choose synonym of your favourite word, there are massive amount of domains registers each day, your desired name may be taken by someone else but there are too many TLD are also available you can definitely try.
Advantages of Having a Domain Name
Digital presence is no more a temporary option, now it becomes a necessity to survive in the market.
Now, all small businesses found the value of digital presence and started their online journey. But there are also about 50-60% of small businesses are available that don’t have their own website.
So now let’s discuss some huge advantages of a domain that can help you to grow your business easily.
- Build a brand name using your domain, or choose a domain that represents your brand.
- You can choose a domain that represents your business, this is a great addition to your market reach.
- You can reach all over the world by making a simple website using your business domain.
- It can be more helpful for your business to market your brand name and promote it through the content marketing or paid marketing.
- You can also sell your products directly through your business domain site.
- Building trust is the most important work of businesses a domain helps you to build your brand name popular and trustworthy.
- In this time of technology, it increases your professionalism.
A domain name is also called as web property which plays an important role in making your brand name, brand popularity, as well as making your site a trustworthy site.
Which increase your business in direct and indirect way. Domain name becomes important because you can easily market your brand or site all over the world by making a simple single page Web site.